Well, folks, the snow is here with a vengeance. We got another storm this week (with another one hitting as you read these words) and this was my view when I came out of work on Thursday. Even though it’s a beast to drive in, it sure is pretty.
This is what 8 hours in a parking lot will do to your car. Scraping off my car is definitely my 3rd least favorite parts of snow, with driving in it taking 1st place and shoveling coming in a really close 2nd place. Other than that, I have no problem with it 🙂
One of my favorite parts of winter time though (especially on stormy winter nights!) is making homemade soups! These are one of my staples during the winter and an easy way for me to work more veggies into my diet. So I thought I would share my oh so special secret with you in case you’re looking for ways to warm up from the cold.
Creamy soups make me not feel so great, so broth based soups are my go to. These soups really are as easy as they come.
- Fill pot 3/4 of the way with water. Boil water.
- Add chicken/beef bouillon according to the amount of water you are using.
- If you would like to add some pasta, start cooking it now.
- Now this is the fun part – add whatever vegetables you want, starting with those that will take the longest to cook. The more colors, the better! The soup above (and most of my soups) consists of zucchini, yellow squash and spinach. I also like to add carrots but I was out the other night.
- Toward the end, add a can of dice tomatoes, including the juice. I love the little extra something the watered down tomato juice adds to the soup, without turning it into a full on tomato soup.
- Add cooked pasta, if desired. Rice would be another great option.
- Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
See?? Simple, nutritious and soo delicious!
Speaking of delicious, I tried these for the first time last night and I am sold!! I’m really a sucker for mint anything (I think this ties into my love of peppermint). Try these! You won’t be disappointed.
Hope you’re all having a wonderful Saturday! My cousin is getting married today, so it’s a fun, family filled day ahead!
And for all of you out there driving in the snow today, be safe!
Does it snow where you live?
Favorite winter time meal? Feel free to link up a recipe! I’d love to get more ideas for yummy, healthy meals!
Favorite type of M&M? Peanut butter always wins. Plain is a classic. These mint ones are giving both a run for their money!