Something I’ve had to work with my participants over the last couple of months is where to exercise during the winter. I’m in Utah, so I do understand not wanted to go out into the ice and snow or the inversion. I work with a lot of people all over the country, so I get to hear all about the weather being experienced all over the midwest and east coast. Since we still have at least a couple more months of winter, I thought we should take about indoor walking.
I do have a gym membership, but many of my participants don’t and either don’t want one or can’t afford one. They need access to something cheap (or free!), easy and that doesn’t take a lot of time out of their day. One popular solution? Walking around malls or their office buildings!
Meg with Destiny USA, in Syracuse, NY, reached out to me and shared some awesome facts and tips about walking and utilizing shopping centers for exercise. Here are some of my favorites:
- FACT: In one power walking workout, you can help to lower your blood pressure, improve your mood, and help reduce risk or manage Type 2 Diabetes.
- TIP: Utilize water fountains or carry a water bottle. Cold water increases metabolism.
- TIP: Walk up the escalators, don’t ride. It’s a resistance workout that will help burn up to 10 calories per minute!
- TIP: Wear less to create your own body heat. (Plus it makes shopping and trying on clothes soo much easier…not that you’re always shopping when you go walking at the mall. That would be dangerous)
- TIP: Avoid locking your knees when you’re waiting in line. Posture can effect your workouts in terms of endurance and muscular stress.
I did a little research on my own and also found these awesome reasons to get in a good walk, whether outside or in the mall!
- Strengthen your bones
- Improve your balance and coordination
- Reduce the risk of breast and colon cancer
- Improve blood pressure, blood sugar and lipid profile
- Can help you kick your tobacco habit
- Reduces stress
- Increases energy
- Boosts your immune system
I think sometimes as runners or CrossFit doers or yogies or whatever we are, we forget about how awesome the basic exercise we learned as toddlers is for us and for our health. Plus if you do bring your wallet with you every now and then, you may just find super cute things on sale like I did last night. Walking + sales = happy girl.
You can’t really tell in the picture but it’s sparkly gold. For my gold themed Golden Birthday party coming up. So excited!
Do you like walking?
Where do you go walking when the weather isn’t your favorite?
When is/was your golden birthday? (when you turn the age of the date. ie, 25 on the 25th)